Hever Castle Golf Club Heritage

Golf, History

Hever Castle Golf Club HERITAGE

It was in the 1920s that golf first featured on the estate when a private 9 hole course was built for Astor’s personal enjoyment in the grounds where today’s Championship Course lies north of the Hever lakes. Hever golf course proved a valuable tool for the Astors to entertain friends, family, and for business.

From the 1920s until the outbreak of the Second World War John Jacob Astor V and his wife Violet hosted days out at Hever Castle for The Times newspaper staff. The day out was a big event, often attracting over 3000 guests.

Members of The Times staff and the official debates staff of the Houses of Parliament, who played a match at Hever on June 16’, The Times House Journal, August 1928, p.303

The original course survived until the Second World War when it was sadly abandoned during the war effort. However, the present-day Championship Course was created in 1992 and the Princes 9 Hole Course opened in 1998.

The course is one of the best golf courses in Kent and has been built to the highest specification and is a great test of golf in Kent for experienced golfers and beginners alike.

Latest News