Hever Castle & Gardens offers an extensive range of filming and photography locations for film, TV, fashion shoots, commercial shoots and wedding shoots.
The historic Castle and its connection to Anne Boleyn and Henry VIII make it a popular choice with Tudor documentary makers and Hever Castle regularly appears in TV programmes about this fascinating period of history.
Filming in the Castle is restricted to times when it is not open to the public: usually before 11.30 am or after the visitors have departed (times vary throughout the year).
The formal and informal gardens provide a stunning backdrop for filming and fashion shoots whatever the season. From the award-winning Italian Garden with its Greek and Roman Statuary, Pompeiian Wall and Grotto Walk to the majestic Loggia and Nymph’s Fountain based on the Trevi Fountain in Rome. And from the romantic quintessential walled Rose Garden to the Tudor Garden, Blue Corner and Topiary Walk.
Timings for filming in the gardens and grounds are more flexible and can be accommodated during opening times as well as early and later in the day.
While everything is done to assist film crews and photographers, the safety and enjoyment of visitors is a priority during opening times when crews are required to work around the public. It should be noted that Hever Castle is under the flight path to Gatwick and during certain months, aircraft noise may need to be taken into consideration when filming in the grounds.
We are always happy to accommodate recces and advise on the iconic locations and settings to suit your brief. For filming and photography, Public Liability insurance is required and a contract must be signed prior to crews arriving on site.
These vary according to the type of filming and photo shoots and each enquiry is considered on an individual basis to cater for the needs of your crew.
Filming requests for historic documentaries or TV programmes which clearly identify the location as Hever Castle are considered according to their PR value, and the production company may only be charged for extras such as hiring a green room/dressing room for the day or where additional Castle staff are required for the shoot.
Similarly, location fees for Fashion Shoots are charged according to the location credit and any additional editorial coverage Hever Castle receives within the magazine.
To discuss your requirements for the above or arrange a recce, please contact our Press and Marketing Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone: +44 (0)1732 861710.
Commercial shoots are charged on an hourly rate (min half day). Please email email@example.com stating your company name and contact details, date/s required and a brief outline of the project for current rates.
All couples who hold their wedding ceremony in the Castle, Astor Wing or on the Loggia are obviously most welcome to use the Castle and Gardens for their bridal photographs.
We also welcome couples who have not held their ceremony here but wish to use our beautiful gardens as a backdrop for their photographs. The following policy applies:
All photo shoots can be booked a maximum of six weeks in advance so as not to clash with any ceremonies or events that may be taking place on site.
Photography will be permitted throughout the grounds but not inside the Castle.
The following fees will apply:
Bride, Groom and photographer – free entrance.
Normal entrance fees for all other guests (individual or group rate as appropriate).
£550 + VAT set fee for the use of the Gardens for photographs.
Photo shoots can be booked a maximum of six weeks in advance, so as not to clash with any other ceremonies or events that may be taking place on site. The facility fee for the pre booked photographic date is non-transferable unless the weather deems any photography impossible. Payment is in advance or on the day by cheque, credit card, credit transfer or cash. Photography will be permitted throughout the grounds but not inside the Castle. We do not allow drones.
The use of drones is not permitted on or over Hever Castle & Gardens without prior approval.
If use is approved by Hever Castle & Gardens then the following conditions will apply:
- Operators must hold current and valid evidence of CAA qualifications
- A risk assessment for the proposed flight
- Evidence of valid insurance policy compliant with EC 785/2004
- A flight plan for the proposed flight
- A method statement outlining what equipment will be used and a flight plan outlining where flying is proposed
- No flight over persons outside of your control
- Flights must be kept within visual line of sight (VLOS)
All drone operators and fliers must also provide details of their Drone Registration Identification numbers.
Please note: for all commercial and personal filming, drone flying will be treated as a commercial hire and the appropriate fees will apply.
National TV PROGRAMMES
Prime Time TV
• Celebrity MasterChef. BBC One, 2018
• One Show featuring Gloria Hunniford. BBC1, Sept 2017.
• Masterpiece – game show presented by Alan Titchmarsh. ITV, 2017.
• Good Morning Britain. ITV, 2017.
• Sunday Politics. BBC, 2016.
• Cars of My Life. ITV, 2016.
• Garden Rescue. BBC, 2016.
• The Apprentice. BBC One, 2015.
• Don’t Tell The Bride. BBC Three, 2015.
• This Week – satirical current affairs programme presented by Andrew Neil. BBC One, 2015.
• MasterChef. BBC One, 2014.
• Lorraine. ITV, 2014.
• The Alan Carr New Year Special. Channel 4, 2013.
• Gok’s Style Secrets. Channel 4, 2013.
• Saturday Kitchen. BBC One, 2013.
• Reformation: Europe’s Holy War – presented by Dr David Starkey. BBC2, Oct 2017.
• Private Lives of the Tudors – presented by historian Tracy Borman. Yesterday, 2017
• How Did Henry VIII Use Sex and Power to Secure His Legacy? Presented by Kate Williams. BBC iWonder, 2015.
• Documentary on Henry VIII, presented by Susan Ronald. PBS America, 2015.
• Walking Through History: The Tudor Trail, presented by Tony Robinson. Channel 4, 2014.
• Henry & Anne: The Lovers Who Changed History, presented by Dr Suzannah Lipscomb. Channel 5, 2014.
• The Most Dangerous Man in Tudor England, presented by Melvyn Bragg. BBC Two, 2013.
• Fit to Rule, presented by Dr Lucy Worsley. BBC Two, 2013.
• Tales from the Royal Bedchamber, presented by Dr Lucy Worsley. BBC Four, 2013.
Lifestyle and reality:
• Walks with My Dog featuring comedian Katherine Ryan. More4, Feb 2018.
• Celebrity Ghost Hunt. 5Star, Feb 2018.
• Four in a Bed. Channel4, Jan 2018.
• Stage School. E4, 2017.
• Discover Great Britain. Visit Britain / Yahoo, 2015.
• Enchanted Travelogues with Train Journeys. Japanese National TV, 2014.
• Simon Calder. Independent and Visit Kent Website, 2014.
Antiques & Arts
• Dark Arts: Holbein and the Court of Henry VIII, presented by Waldemar Januszczak. BBC Two, 2014.
• Flog It! BBC One, 2014.
• Antiques Uncovered. BBC TWO, 2013.
• Antiques Roadshow. BBC One (2011).
Gardening & Countryside
• The Autistic Gardener 2015. Channel 4, 2015.
• The Science of Gardening, presented by Carol Klein. BBC TWO, 2015.
• Gardeners’ World. BBC TWO, 2013
• Escape to the Country. BBC TWO, 2013.
Fashion and Photo Shoots
• Britain’s Next Top Model. Lifetime, 2017.
• Hello Magazine
• Absolutely Weddings
• Harrods Magazine
• Square Meal Weddings