novel Writing course: 10 June 2017
Hever Castle has partnered with critically acclaimed author Mark Oldfield to host a one day novel writing course on 10th June 2017.
Ideal for anyone wanting to write quality fiction, the day covers a variety of techniques and approaches to help aspiring writers develop storylines, structure and plan their book, write effective synopses and of course edit.
Participants will study various ways of creating suspense and tension, creating atmosphere, developing realistic characters and writing convincing dialogue. Furthermore you will also examine ways of getting your book into shape before submitting it to agents and publishers.
About the novel writing course leader:
Dr. Mark Oldfield is a Kent-based author whose critically acclaimed Spanish-based Vengeance of Memory Trilogy is published by Head of Zeus. Mark’s first book, ‘The Sentinel’, was shortlisted for the prestigious Crime Writers’ Association (CWA) Ian Fleming Steel Dagger Award 2013, ‘The Exile’ was published in 2015 and his third novel ‘The Dead’ is due to be published in August 2017.
As former head of Kent Probation’s Research Department, Mark holds a PhD in Criminology and has carried out research on many aspects of criminal justice and lectured in a number of universities.
Objectives for this novel writing course :
- By the end of the course participants will have studied:
- A model for structuring and developing their novel from outline through to submission
- Research and planning
- Using scenes to advance storylines, create atmosphere and maintain pace and tension
- Giving the reader a consistent and satisfying feel for events and settings
- Creating credible characters
- Writing dialogue
- Composing a synopsis
- Submitting work to agents and publishers.
Price of the novel writing course:
- Worksheets and copies of the exercises and diagrams of the materials used during the day
- Tea and coffee on arrival and during the day
- Sandwich lunch
- Access to the grounds until 6pm
Timings & Location:
- Think Tank at Hever Castle & Gardens
- 09:30 Coffee and tea
- 10:00 Course starts
- 16:00 Course finishes