The Water Maze is open – weather permitting.
The Yew Maze is closed.
Intriguing visitors with their many twists, turns and surprises, Hever Castle boasts a historic English Yew Maze and a splashing Water Maze in its stunning grounds. These amusing family activities will test your sense of direction and memory as you find your way to the centre or reward.
Enjoy the challenge of finding your way through the 100 year old Yew Maze. Hugely popular with visitors of all ages, it is situated next to the castle forecourt and measures eighty feet by eighty feet. It was built in the Edwardian era by William Waldorf Astor, who along with a number of other wealthy people created mazes for their own enjoyment. The hedges reach eight feet in height and there is almost a quarter of a mile of pathways inside to get lost in! It is one of only a few traditionally designed mazes in the country.
Open all year round, weather permitting (please check at the Information Centre). We recommend that you allow half an hour to explore the Yew Maze. Final entry 45 minutes before the grounds close, and final exit is 15 minutes before we close. View our opening times.
Cool down in the Water Maze but don’t forget to bring a towel! Situated on Sixteen Acre Island it is a maze with a difference that consists of a series of concentric stepping stone walkways sitting over water; at intervals the stones tilt when stood on and hidden water jets spring into action to soak the unwary visitor. The aim is to reach the stone grotto in the centre without getting wet. Few are successful although it is great fun and challenges young and old alike.
*Children under 5 need to be accompanied by an adult. Shoes must be worn at all times.
During peak times it may take 1 hour to queue for the Water Maze.
• The Water Maze is operated on a timed entry basis
• Entry is on a first come first served basis
• Timed entry begins at 10:30 and the length of the session varies depending on the day of the week
• The session length is 30 mins during peak times
• We let one group out completely before letting the next group in
• A whistle will be blown at the end of your session indicating the end of play
• Signage at the Water Maze will indicate when the next session is due to start
• The folly will remain closed
• There are no toilet facilities in this area of the grounds
Open 29th March – 31st October 2021, weather permitting (please check at the Information Centre). Final entry 45 minutes before the grounds close, and final exit is 15 minutes before we close. View our opening times.