Follow our head gardener Neil Miller’s advice for looking after your Camellias and you should have lovely blooming bushes for many years to come.
Tips for camellias:
- Camellias thrive in light shade and require acid soil if your soil isn’t acid then consider growing in a pot with ericaceous compost.
- As Camellias form flower buds in late summer and autumn, pruning should be undertaken in spring immediately after flowering.
- Water Camellias in dry spells in late summer when flower buds are forming.
- Feed Camellias with acidic fertilizers but do not feed later than the end of July as excessive or late feeding can lead to bud drop.
- A good layer of mulch in late winter/early spring will keep the roots nice and moist.
Repeat these tips each year for gorgeous Camellias.
To find out more about the gardens at Hever Castle why not book a private tour of the gardens.
If you are heading to Hever Castle for Snowdrop Walk, the first event of 2020, you will be able to stroll through the gardens and enjoy the early blossoms of camellia and quince. Plus, if you are coming to Snowdrop Walk on Saturday 8 February award winning garden writer Val Bourne is giving a talk entitled The Wonderful World of Galanthophilia. Make sure you don’t miss out!